Saturday, August 27, 2011

The Juliet Spell by Douglas Rees Book Review

Title:  The Juliet Spell
Author:  Douglas Rees 
Part of series or standalone: standalone
Published: September 27, 2011
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
I'm reviewing this for Net Galley.

Miranda Hoberman’s high school is going to perform Romeo and Juliet and she really wants to be cast as Juliet.  Her mother wanted to be Juliet but never got to be, so she’s doing this for her mom as well as herself.  To help increase her chances of getting the role, Miranda performs the spell.  Something happens that she doesn’t expect.  A boy in weird clothing appears and happens to be Edmund Shakespeare, William Shakespeare’s younger brother.

At first, Edmund thinks that Miranda is Helen of Troy but then thinks she’s a fairy.  Miranda manages to get him to calm down and starts to show him about the technological advances.  As she teaches him more things, she ends up caring for him but it seems he has his eyes set on Vivian, Miranda’s rival for the part of Juliet.  Will Miranda be Edmund’s Juliet?  Will she even be a ‘Juliet’ at all?
When I first started to read it, I hated the Miranda’s narration.  I felt there was something lacking, and I became annoyed and  not enthused when Miranda was teaching Edmund about the modern world.   But, I eventually started to like the book more as I read on.  I’m not a fan of cussing in books and this one definitely had more of the vulgar ones.  It doesn’t have a lot of cussing though.  I didn’t really like Edmund, but I definitely felt bad for Miranda when she saw him with Vivian.  I definitely liked the concept of the book, but I think it could have been executed a lot better.




No comments:

Post a Comment