Monday, May 21, 2012

Manga Mondays: Crimson Hero, Volume 1 by Mitsuba Takanashi


Title: Crimson Hero, Volume 1
Author: Mitsuba Takanashi
Part of series: series
Published: December 6, 2005
Publisher: VIZ Media, LLC
Format: paperback
Source: own











Manga Mondays is a weekly meme hosted by Alison Can Read.

Nobara isn’t considered pretty and graceful like her younger sister, Souka, but is expected to be the young mistress, a host that serves the rich people at her family’s Japanese restaurant. All Nobara wants to do is play volleyball, so she transfers to a new school to be on their school volleyball team. Her first day doesn’t go well. She finds out there is no longer a girl’s volleyball team AND she gets mistaken for a boy.

However, Nobara finds out that her mother paid the school a hefty amount of money, so they would get rid of the girl’s team. Nobara decides that she has enough and turns to her aunt for help. Her aunt does try to help her by getting her a job as the dorm mother for the boy’s volleyball team.
I have started a couple of Shojo Beat mangas, and feel like the artwork in this series isn’t as strong as the ones I’ve read. I still liked some of the artwork. I felt bad for Nobara. It’s hard not to live up to someone’s expectations, feel adequate when being put down, and not being supported.

I haven’t decided if I’ll try to finish this or not. I liked this manga okay, but I’m not sure if I like it enough to continue the series.

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed Crimson Hero! It's a pretty good shoujo sports manga. I really do enjoy sports manga and I find it a real shame that most of them are shounen (although I still enjoy them too!) Have you tried The Devil Does Exist (it's by the same author) it's one of my favourite shoujo's.

    My Manga Monday Post

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've yet to read any manga, although a few of my friends love it. I don't think I'd enjoy it very much. This one sounds good, though! I hate when I can't decide whether or not to continue a series or not though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm...I usually find that the artwork is great in the manga series I read. If I saw one that wasn't, it would be quite jarring. This sounds like a fun book, if not perfect.

    ReplyDelete