Monday, May 28, 2012

Stirring Up Trouble by Juli Alexander

Title: Stirring Up Trouble
Author: Juli Alexander
Part of series or standalone: series
Published: Janurary 17, 2012
Publisher:  Self-published
Format: e-book
Source: own




I received a copy for review.

Zoe Miller takes after her mother...she's a witch. Unfortunately that was not enough to keep her parents together. They are divorced because her dad had an affair with his lab assistant. She's very good about making potions and is constantly trying to find substitutes for unsavory ingredients, like toad slime. If that doesn't beat all, she's in love with her best-friend, Anya's, ex-boyfriend. They are constantly making up and breaking up. She's hoping this time for good. She wants to be more than friends but doesn't know how to tell Anya.

Zoe thought it couldn't get any worse. Apparently, the new girl that her dad's dating is Jake's mother. She does end up kissing Jake at the movies to make Anya jealous. Will Zoe just stir up some more trouble with Anya and even more with Jake?

I felt bad that her parents are divorced. Things like that are never easy to go through or having feelings for your best-friend's ex-boyfriend. I'm not for sure if I would have felt as badly as Zoe did. Anya's a real witch. I really liked that self-serving potions resulted in punishments, but I think what happens/ can happen on Halloween is a little extreme. I really liked Jake and hope to read more about him in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Seems like an interesting take on magic. I must confess, I probably won't read this, since I'm VERY picky about witch stories. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete