Wednesday, June 13, 2012

A Long Way From You by Gwendoly Heasley

 A Long Way from You


Title: A Long Way From You
Author: Gwendolyn Heasley
Part of series or standalone: series
Published: June 5, 2012
Publisher: HarperTeen
Format: ARC
Source: for review
 



 






I won a copy from Good Reads.

Kitsy Kidd loves art, and is thrilled when she gets accepted into a summer program at Parsons in New York. This will be one of the first times she’s doing something for herself. She’s always taking care of her little brother, Kiki, and her mother, Amber.

The program will give her the chance to really explore her love of art. She’s going to stay with her best-friend, Corinne, and Corinne’s family, who is paying for her tuition and plane ride. Corrine won’t be staying with Kitsy the whole time because she is going to be a counselor at a camp. This doesn’t stop Kitsy from having adventures on her own with people that she meets, including an older musician, Tad.

I’m glad that Kitsy finally did something for herself. I hate it when kids have to be the parents. I really liked Kitsy, but I didn’t like that she sometimes lied to her boyfriend, Hands. I loved that Hands pushed Kitsy to do something for herself, but I felt it was really hard for him to actually apply that when he only wanted to talk about football and dismissed her art. I still liked Hands and wished that he was more in the book.

I took art this past semester in college, and my teacher made us critique everybody’s work along with her critiques. Like Kitsy, I always dreaded critiques, especially since everybody heard them. Kitsy could only hear the negatives in her teacher’s, Picasso’s, critiques. It got her down at first, but with the help of two others in her class, she was able to grow as an artist. I liked the scenes where Kitsy explored New York and was able see that she was capable to do something for herself and outside of her hometown, Broken Spokes.

Overall, I really enjoyed this. The only thing I need to do is backtrack and read the first one!

No comments:

Post a Comment