Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Firelight by Sophie Jordan




Firelight (Firelight, #1)
 

 
Title: Firelight
Author: Sophie Jordan
Firelight #1 series
Published: September 7, 2010
Publisher:  Harper Teen
Format: paperback
Source: own












Jacinda is the first fire-breathing draki in her pride in centuries. She’s always been one of the favorites of the pride, while her twin sister, Tamra, a draki, that has not manifested, lives in her shadow. Her pride is always fearful of hunters which killed their father several years ago.

Jacinda loves being a drake but hates being under the constant watch of Cassian, the alpha’s son. They pride has been trying to pair them together ever since she finally manifested into her draki. Cassian used to be friends with both Jacinda and Tamra until Jacinda manifested and Tamra didn’t. The problem is Tamra has always had feelings for Cassian but Cassian hasn’t paid attention to her since.

Jacinda and her best friend, Az, decide to go flying in draki form during the day, which is against the rules of her pride. Both of them get spotted by hunters, and Jacinda finds herself cornered in a cave by one.

However, he lets her go. When the pride finds out that they broke the rule, Jacinda’s mom knows they have something terrible planned, so she sneaks Tamra and Jacinda to Chaparral, a desert where the twin’s parents went on tour.
Tamra’s thrilled to finally be able to not be an outcast, but Jacinda doesn’t want to leave the pride.

Living in the desert will kill her drake, which is something that Tamra and their mom want to happen. At school, Jacinda meets, Will, the hunter that saved her. Will Jacinda be able to keep their cover or will her desire for him cost her family the normalcy they crave?

I’ve wanted to read this book for awhile, but always found another book to read. I’ve only one other dragon book, and didn’t really like it. I think it was mostly because it was fantasy, and I can be very hard to please in the fantasy genre. I soooo loved this book. This was definitely a page-turner for me. I thought it would take me a lot longer to read this book than I did. I love how sweet Will can be. I think I may be leaning more towards him than Cassian.

I thought based on reviews I read, and Cassian’s character in general would make me like him more, but I guess how it seems he has shunned Tamra got me annoyed.
I did feel bad for Tamra in how the pride treated her, but she annoyed me with how she treated Jacinda. Then again, there is probably definitely a lot of resentment she feels towards her sister.



2 comments:

  1. I see Sophie Jordan all over the place, but have not given her a try as yet. It's tough sometimes with the amount of books out there. I know for me, I feel like I want to read at least 20 books all at thte same time, but I always have to choose. So what always happens is something I really want to read gets pushed down the pile, especially as shiny new books come out. I could not wait to get Tiger's Destiny by Colleen Houck. I still have yet to read it because something else has caught my eye.
    I'm glad you enjoyed the book. Perhgaps I'll give a look. Thanks!

    Tammy @ http://bosbooknook.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really liked firelight and i was super excited to read the next book. but then after the year's wait for book 2 i sort of forgot about the series (even though i have book 2 in my tbr pile). your review makes me want to re-read firelight again and then read the rest of the series...

    ReplyDelete