Sunday, January 20, 2013

Rapunzel Untangled by Cindy C. Bennett


Rapunzel Untangled
Title: Rapunzel Untangled
Author: Cindy C. Bennett

standalone
Published: February 12, 2013
Publisher:  Cedar Fort, Inc
Format: E-ARC
Source: for review













I received a copy from the publishers via Net Galley

Rapunzel has never been outside of her tower because she has SCID, Severe Combined Immunodeficiency.  She never questioned her mother too much about her disease until she started talking to Fane.  She’s home schooled and does a lot of her schoolwork on her computer.  One day she finds Facebook and sees a picture of Fane.  She decides to friend him.  Soon he his telling her about different kinds of books and movies, teaching her poker,…and make her long for the outside world even more.

On one of her mother Gothel’s leave, she explores the rest of the tower with Fane and discovers that not only is her door locked, but a scary room that she vaguely remembers when she was very young.  As her world crashes around her, will she be able to cope?

I have always loved fairy tales, and love to read retellings.  I’ve never been a big fan of the fairy tale, Rapunzel.  I have read another retelling of Rapunzel that I liked, but I really liked this one as well. 

I like that Cindy did a modern retelling of the fairy tale because it’s very hard for me to enjoy retellings when it is not modern dialogue or descriptions.  Every time Rapunzel asked Gothel questions, I couldn’t help but think of the song Mother Knows Best from Untangled.  It definitely made me want to watch that movie again…and read the rest of the books that Cindy has written based on fairy tales.

 

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great retelling of Rapunzel. I'm adding this to my TBR! :)

    Lyra @ Defiantly Deviant

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love retellings of fairy tales. I recently purchased some Grimm Diaries Prequels (which is a weird bundle of 6 prequels, that dont really go together).
    Anyways, it was a very different kind of fairy tale re-telling that i still dont know if i like, but WILL purchase the book when its released.
    Anyways... I have a 7 year old daughter who LOVES Tangled, and I have watched it at least 10 times. :)
    This sounds like the perfect book for me!
    Awesome review!!
    *Goes to Netgalley to request a copy*
    :)

    ReplyDelete