Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Lightning Rider by Jen Greyson

Lightning Rider



Title: Lightning Rider

Author: Jen Greyson
Lightning Rider #1
Published: May 30, 2013
Publisher:  The Writer's Coffee Shop Publishing House
Format: e-book
Source: for review







Summary taken from Good Reads:


For Evy Rivera, thunderstorms have always caused her physical pain, but she's never known why. When a record-setting storm arrives on the same night her father finds ancient ancestral documents, Evy is set aglow with mysterious tiny lightnings she can command.

Even worse, she alerts some people in the universe who've been looking for her family for a very long time.

Thrown back into ancient Spain and tasked with killing a Spanish legend, she must train alongside Constantine, a sexy yet obstinate Roman warrior. He teaches her how to wield her lightning as a weapon, through more errors than trials. With a relationship as explosive as their late-night training sessions, Evy and Constantine battle their push-pull relationship while trying to ignore the two-thousand-year difference in their birthdates.

Ilif Rotiart, her quasi-mentor, is appalled at Evy's skill. He would prefer to train her father and keep Evy on the sidelines—where women belong. Evy has a feeling Ilif is keeping something from them, but she must play nice until she uncovers the truth. And if he's lying, it will be the worst day of his four-hundred-year life.

Penya Sepadas claims she's Evy's rightful trainer, and she has the prophecy to prove it. Penya doesn't share Ilif's misogynistic attitude, but she does have her own agenda...and her own secrets.

Evy must sort through the lies and find the truth behind her family's time-traveling past before the wrong history obliterates the future. She’s spent her whole life fighting for her place. Now, as the first female lightning rider, she'll dedicate her existence to fighting to save the world.

But will Evy learn to manage her lightning and find the truth before it's too late?


I received a copy to review.

I usually write my own summaries because when I look to see what books are about I never find enough information about the book.  I’ve never truly read a New Adult book before.  The only closest I’ve read to one was classified as Mature Young Adult, so I wasn’t sure what to expect from this.  It did take me about a fourth into the story before I got into it.  I’ll admit I wasn’t very fond of Evy at first, but she did grow on me as she grew into a warrior.  I just kind stand characters that trust a guy a lot more than they should.  In the beginning, it talks about her ex basically cleaning out her apartment.  Not smart Evy, not smart at all. 

I loved the concept of the book and was a little bit confused about alterations and what not at first, but I’m glad not all of that info was told at once because then I might have been even more confused.  I started to get into it more when she first time-traveled and definitely was captivated when she met Constantine.   I loved reading all the moments between him and Evy and am nervous to see how the relationship will be in the second-book.  There’s something that ends up happening that makes me this way, but I won’t mention what it is.

I didn’t like how much cussing there was in the beginning. This might not be that big of a deal for some people, but some of the curse words that were used I didn’t like reading.   The amount did lessen as Evy changed.  I guess it probably is one of my bookish peeves, but it didn’t stop me from enjoying the story.  



2 comments:

  1. Great review! New Adult is booming right now!!
    Unfortunately, sometimes the author feels the need to add so many curse words because it is for an older audience...

    I dont mind them, if there is a point to it, and its not overwhelming, but when there are too many curse words, I dont like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for a great review and for taking the time to read and review Lightning Rider. Super appreciate you!

    (and I totally hear you on the cussing -- I went back and forth on them a lot.)

    ReplyDelete