Monday, May 20, 2013

Manga Mondays: Dawn of the Arcana, Volum1 by Rei Toma



Dawn of the Arcana, Vol. 1 (Dawn of the Arcana, #1)


 
Title: Dawn of the Arcana, Volume 1
Author: Rei Toma
Published: December 6, 2011
Publisher: Viz Media/ Shojo Beat Division
Format: paperback
Source: own
 










Manga Mondays is a weekly meme hosted by Alison Can Read.

This volume is rated T for Teen.


There are two enemy countries: Senan and Belquat. To help make peace, Princess Nakaba of Senan and Prince Caesar of Belquat marry. The only thing is, Nakaba is a red-head. All royalty only have black hair. She’s pretty much alone, except for her attendant from Senan, Loki. He is an Ajin, a race of demi-humans who are slaves and treated as such by most. Loki and Nakaba face many insults, but they have each other. Will Nakaba be able to adjust to her newly found role?


I tend to be very picky when I buy manga. I like the really fluffy stories and am quickly turned off by artwork.

I was in Books a Million looking for manga and found Dawn of the Arcana. I had researched a little bit of it before I had gone to the store. I only read manga rated teen and below, so it’s definitely harder for me to find them. I picked the first volume up from the shelf and was immediately impressed by the artwork.

I hate to read during college because I really don’t have that much time. I finally caved and read this volume. I absolutely loved this! I didn’t like Prince Caesar at first because he really is mean and treats Nakaba as property only. Him, along with his country, ridicule people who are different them, including Nakaba. She reveals she got this kind of treatment from her own country, too.

Now, Loki I definitely like. He’s sweet and will protect Nakaba, especially from Caesar. I loved seeing the flashbacks of Loki and little Nakaba. I’m a sucker of drawings of little kids in manga.

Right now, I’m rooting for Loki more, but after the way it ended, I might become more of Team Caesar before too long. Anybody who likes manga with more fantasy and historical elements with several doses of romance might like this. 


 

4 comments:

  1. I'm not that picky about manga, but I do like a good series when I find it. This sounds like a nice twist on the shojo I usually read (contemp or vampires)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try not to be, but I'm like that with video games as well. I pick manga for the story and artwork probably pretty evenly.

      Delete
  2. Nice review. I'm the kind of naughty manga reader that reads the manga online first before completely falling in love with it and caving in to buy the paperback. This is one of my favorite manga. I'm totally Team Cesaer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read the next two, and am now definitely leaning more towards Caesar. I've been pretty tempted to read some online.

      Delete