Saturday, June 1, 2013

Blog Tour Book Review: Runes by Ednah Walters

Runes (Runes #1)
 


Title: Runes
Author: Ednah Walters
Runes #1
Published: May 7, 2013
Publisher:  Firetrail Publishing
Format: e-book
Source: for review
 
 
 I received a copy to review.
 
 Lorraine or Raine still misses her dad.  He was involved in a plane crash and his body was never found.  Her mom claims that she believes he is still alive, but Raine is losing hope but doesn’t want to mourn him because then he would really be gone.  She is able to somewhat able to cope with her best friends Cora and Eirik.  Raine has feelings for Eirik and has been really close to him since he was little, but they’re at the border of being friends and boyfriend and girlfriend.  He used to live next door to her but now someone has finally moved into Eirik’s old place, Torin St. James. 
From the moment she talks to him, he’s nothing but condescending and arrogant and knows how to push her buttons, including when he calls her Freckles.  She can’t stop thinking about him, even when it seems that Eirik returns her feelings.  There are three new high school students from Norway that want to join the swim team with Cora and Raine, but when Andris, the only male of the three, got mad, weird markings showed up all over him. 
Raine tries to get answers from Torin, especially after she thinks he healed her.  As Raine tries to get closer to Torin, she’s about to find that maybe her life isn’t as simple and boring as she thought.
It took me a while to actually like Torin as a love interest.  I just think cockiness is a little overdone in most YA books out there.  I didn’t start liking him until he opened up a little more or at least showed a different side to him than that.  I was definitely rooting for Eirik more.  Even though I grew to like Torin, I still liked Eirik more at times.  As Raine got to know more about Torin, I was rooting for him more.
There are a couple of things I didn’t see coming, but there was a few things that I did figure out.  I always love having mythology thrown into books.  I’ve only read books that have done twists with Greek and Roman mythology, so I was excited when I realized it was Norse mythology.  I don’t know as much about Norse mythology, but I have read some of it.
Anybody that loves young adult books that’s based on mythology with romance thrown in should give this one a try.
Tour banner.jpg
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for participating in the tour and like you, I have such a soft spot for Eirik. You'll h=get to learn more about him in book 2.

    ReplyDelete