Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Winter Brides (A Year of Weddings Novella Collection) by Denise Hunter, Deborah Raney, and Besty St. Amant

21493659



Title: Winter Brides (A Year of Weddings Novella Collection)
Author: Denise Hunter, Deborah Raney, Betsy St. Amant
  Published: November 25, 2014
 Publisher:  Zondervan
Format: paperback

 Source: own











An anthology that will warm your heart for the holidays


A December Bride by Denise Hunter

Layla O’ Reilly’s date for a wedding just cancelled on her while she is busy at work. It wouldn’t be a big deal if it wasn’t for her cousin’s and her ex’s wedding. Unfortunately for her, her day is getting worse when Seth Murphy, the guy she blames for her broken relationship, offers her a ride after she waits on him at her job.

Not really wanting his company, but not wanting to show up alone, she says, “Yes.” After a few awkward moments at the wedding the two find themselves faking an engagement. At first, Layla wants out of the misunderstanding but decides against it because she thinks Seth’s social standing with another man will help her fledgling home decorating business soar.

I never have read anything by Denise Hunter before, and I sure have been missing out! I’ll have to raid my mom’s bookshelves and borrow some of her books by Denise Hunter. I really loved this story and the two main characters, Seth and Layla. This novella takes place in Chapel Springs, but I really wish this was a full story by itself. I loved the story and these two characters that much. 


A January Bride by Deborah Raney

Madeline has recently relocated from NYC to Kansas to live in her sister’s and husband’s home while it’s being renovated. Their mother is suffering from Alzheimer’s and is in the late stages of it. Madeline wants to spend more time with her mom and work on her book.

The renovations are not coming along well, so Ginny, her next door neighbor, offers her to work on her book at her friend’s bed and breakfast. Madeline is grateful to work in a quieter environment and starts exchanging notes with the owner, Art. Madeline enjoys the exchanges from who she believes is an elderly gentleman.

At first, I didn’t know what to think of the story because I didn’t like it at first, but this did grow on me. This is a contemporary story, as is all of them, but it read to me as a historical. I enjoyed the letter exchanges with Madeline and Arthur and the brief encounters with Art’s cat, Alex.

I do feel like too much tried to happen in what seems happened it a short time frame but that happens often with novellas like this. I did like that this one incorporated God more than the other two novellas. 


A February Bride by Betsy St. Amant

Allie is going to marry her best-friend’s brother but runs away because she feels the females in her family is cursed and wants to spare Marcus the same pain. She stays away from his family and her best friend, Hannah, for four months. Allie is supposed to meet Hannah for lunch but she comes to her place. Hannah reveals that she is getting married and wants Allie in the wedding.

Allie decides to be there for her friend and knows that it will be awkward around Hannah’s family, especially Marcus. When Allie is around Marcus, she thinks he is still warm around her, and she hopes they still can be friends. 

I never heard of this author, but I really loved this story. I hated how Allie viewed herself, especially with the family “curse.” I can see how Marcus could be hot and cold because Allie never told anyone why she ran away. I wished that this story was longer. I could easily see a longer book for this story. I am going to be on the hunt for more books by this author. 


I’m really excited to read the other anthologies in this series! 

No comments:

Post a Comment