Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Fading Starlight by Kathryn Cushman


27066693

Title: Fading Starlight
 Author: Kathryn Cushman
  Published: May 3, 2016
 Publisher: Bethany House
Series or standalone: standalone
Format: paperback
 Source: for review












Good Reads Summary:
A Tale of Unexpected Friendship and Old Hollywood Glamour 

Lauren Summers is hiding. Her fashion house internship should have launched her career, but a red carpet accident has left her blackballed. The only job she finds is unpaid, but comes with free lodging--a run-down cottage in the shadow of a cliff-side mansion. Unsure of what comes next, she's surprised to be contacted by a reporter researching a reclusive former Hollywood ingEnue who lives in the nearby mansion. 

Kendall Joiner wants Lauren's help uncovering the old woman's secrets. In return, she'll prove the red carpet accident was a publicity stunt so Lauren can regain her former job. With all her dreams in front of her, Lauren's tempted by the offer, but as she and the old woman get to know each other, Lauren realizes nothing is quite as it seems.

*I won a copy from the publishers via Good Reads

This is the first book I have read by Kathryn Cushman.  Mostly because hers deal with sadder issues.  I remember seeing this on Good Reads and thinking it sounded interesting.  I was bummed to learn it had hardly any romance, but I still enjoyed the book quite a bit without it. 

I’ve read some other reviews about how the incident seems unlikely to lead to being blackballed. I think it could go either way depending on the circumstances.  I believe it is kind of likely.  It might have bothered me a little bit because I know that has really happened in the fashion industry with celebrities but never have heard the designers receiving the backlash.

Anyway, I really liked Lauren and though she was a like-able character.  I do admit I understand why she wanted to work with Lauren because of wanting to clear her name.   I can sympathize with Lauren in her attempts to become friends with Charlotte, the woman who Kendall wants information on.  Charlotte was a hard character to like, even near the end of the book, it was hard for me to get past what she was doing and had done.

I thought this story was well-done.  I had minor qualms with the book.  I thought the name Kendall Joiner was way too close to Kendall Jenner.  I never thought that the story dragged.  I felt like I read this one rather quickly for being a trade back size.


If anybody has ever wanted to read a book by Kathryn, I highly recommend starting with this one because as far as I can tell, this is definitely a more lighter read than her other books.

No comments:

Post a Comment