Monday, August 15, 2016

The Healer's Apprentice by Melanie Dickerson


7826101




       Title: The Healer’s Apprentice
 Author: Melanie Dickerson
  Published: September 15, 2010
 Publisher: Zondervan
Format: paperback
 Source: own









Goodreads Summary:

Two Hearts. One Hope.

Rose has been appointed as a healer's apprentice at Hagenheim Castle, a rare opportunity for a woodcutter's daughter like her. While she often feels uneasy at the sight of blood, Rose is determined to prove herself capable. Failure will mean returning home to marry the aging bachelor her mother has chosen for her—a bloated, disgusting merchant who makes Rose feel ill.

When Lord Hamlin, the future duke, is injured, it is Rose who must tend to him. As she works to heal his wound, she begins to understand emotions she's never felt before and wonders if he feels the same. But falling in love is forbidden, as Lord Hamlin is betrothed to a mysterious young woman in hiding. As Rose's life spins toward confusion, she must take the first steps on a journey to discover her own destiny.

Book Review:

Normally, I try to write my own synopsis, but felt the one for this book was really good and thought it described a whole lot better than I could.

I spoiled myself on this book before I even read it.  I have no idea why I didn’t think it through, but I read the discussion questions and spoiled a major plot point.  Hopefully, I’ve learned my lesson. 

This is a retelling about Sleeping Beauty.  I absolutely love fairy tale retellings, but I believe this is the first Sleeping Beauty retelling I have ever read, largely because Sleeping Beauty is not even close to being a fairy tale that is a favorite.  I really enjoyed Melanie’s retelling.

I think one of the main reasons I rated the book 4.5 stars is I kept putting the book down to do other things.  I don’t blame this on the story at all.  I think I was in some kind of mood where I wanted to something other than read, but I didn’t know what.

I will say I preferred one male character over the other and felt the character I didn’t like had more time with Rose than I would have liked.  Also, there is conjurer in the book, and the moments in the book that anything related this really disturbed me.
  
Although, I really enjoyed this book, I cannot recommend this book for younger teens.  I know this might not bother some, but I cannot stomach those scenes.  I have and do plan on reading more by Melanie, but I will avoid any books that reflect that kind of content.

I do believe Melanie can write really well and look forward to more of her books.

No comments:

Post a Comment