Monday, October 10, 2016

October Monthly Recommendations: Monster Mash

This is my second time doing a monthly recommendation through a group on Good Reads named Monthly Recommendations. This group was created by Trina from Between Chapters and Kayla Rayne.  The book links go to Good Reads plus the creators of the group's Youtube channels.

This month is Monster Mash.  The group had a list of creatures and monster and we could recommend books pertaining to the list.  There are a number amount of ways this could be done.  Could pick just 1 creature, like a vampire, and just recommend all vampire books or pick monsters from certain books who you'd invite to your party.  

I decided just to pick certain creatures/monsters from the list and recommend books I really liked or loved based on the monster/creature being in the book.
Vampires



9642279


Amy and her friends love a vampire series and find two of the main
 characters from the book series somehow are now in her world.  
One is a vampire hunter, Alexander, and the other one is a vampire.
The vampire attacks Amy and is saved by the vampire hunter.  
Both of them must figure out how to get Vigo out of Amy's world.

I really loved this book when I read it. I think this can appeal to
 readers 
because I know I've wondered what it would be like if a book 
or characters from
a particular book were real.  Unfortunately for Amy, it just included 
an evil vampire :)
I really don't think this is a scary read, but a good read nonetheless.



13422225


Matt and his family are vampires.  One night Natalie is babysitting 
Matt's younger sister, Ashley, and Natalie throws a fit and bites Natalie, 
turning Natalie into a vampire as well.  Matt has been taking care of Natalie ever sense.

This is a novella, so it's a really quick read.  It may not have a lot of depth,
 but I loved it so much.

Werewolves/wereanimals


27218553

Beauty and the Clockwork Beast by Nancy Campbell Allen

Good Reads Summary

Jane Eyre meets Beauty and the Beast.

When Lucy Pickett arrives at Blackwell Manor to tend to her ailing cousin, Kate, she finds more than she bargained for. A restless ghost roams the hallways, werewolves have been reported in the area, and vampires lurk across the Scottish border. Lord Miles himself is clearly hiding a secret. He is brash and inhospitable, and does not take kindly to visitors—even one as smart and attractive as Miss Pickett. He is unsettled by the mysterious deaths of his new wife, Clara, and his sister, Marie. Working together, Miles and Lucy attempt to restore peace to Blackwell Manor. But can Lucy solve the mystery of Miles? Can she love the man—beast and all?

First off, can I mention it has elements from Beauty and the Beast and Jane Eyre.  My favorite fairy tale meets my favorite classic.  Now, this book is not what I'd classify as a retelling of either, but I definitely can see the parallels of both.  This book has vampires, a werewolf, and  a ghost.  Combines three of the categories in one.

This is a steampunk, romance book.  This one definitely has creepy moments in this book.  There is like a conjuring scene I really hated.  I don't like that sort of thing in my book, but other than that I devoured the book.
-Zombies



3873345






Mia has been asked out by a popular, football player, Rob.  But, Rob is starting to show interest in another girl.  With the help of Mia's best friend, Candice, they set out to make a love potion, but instead, they actually create a zombie virus that affects her classmates.  Suddenly, Mia is popular, or at least, she thinks she is.


Chase, a zombie hunter, enters the scene and tells Mia her class is actually just trying to make her fat so they can eat her.




It's been a while since I read this one.  I might reread this one because I forgot how fun this sounds.




-Faeries

23266260





Winnie Price has written for a while.  She dreams of a fae realm almost every night and has notebooks about her dreams.  She thinks, along with her friend, that she is a good writer until the owl that visits her turns into Cathair, a dark Fae Prince whom she has dreamed and written about.

This is the first in a novella series.  I have read books by Tera before, but this is one of my favorites of her.  I still like Forgive My Fins more by her, but this is really a close second.  I didn't not expect to like this as much as I did.  I haven't read a lot of faery books, but I highly recommend this.



You can get the first two free, but you need to confirm the subscription.  teralynnchilds.com/getfae




Feel free to recommend me some books or which one you think sounds the best out of what I listed! :)

2 comments:

  1. Jane Eyre meets Beauty and the Beast sounds amazing. Two great things! I have so many Jane Eyre inspired books to read!!

    ReplyDelete